Tashkent

Tashkent

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Less Facebook, More Writing

   I've decided to take a break from Facebook for many reasons.  I've actually always loved Facebook as an excellent way to keep in touch with people back home, to share pictures and stories, etc.  But I have allowed Facebook to become a breeding ground for several negative habits and feelings in me lately.
   First of all, I tend to automatically go to it when I begin to become bored; it's like a nervous tick.  There are far more constructive ways to spend my time and I intend to cultivate them for a while.
   Next, it has bred obsession in me.  The easy access to fairly innocuous information isn't healthy.
    Further, I have to fight to prevent myself from becoming involved in the most vacuous conversations/debates.  I succeeded in removing myself from all political discussions, but found myself moving on to other subjects.  I have found that debates on Facebook are utterly inane and their results tend to breed stubbornness and anger, two very unhealthy results of debate.
  Along the same ground, I am so sick of hearing and seeing the political garbage all over Facebook I just can't stand it anymore.  People are using Facebook for propaganda, sharing ridiculous memes that support ignorance, hatred, and bigoted labeling.  People say things on the internet that they would never have the guts, stupidity, and/or social inadequacy to say in person.
  In summation, Facebook has resulted in unnecessary stress and tension for me and it's time to stop.  Maybe I'll come back to it eventually, but for now it's most healthy for me to focus on the very important things I'm dealing with in my life right now: a new country, new language, finding a Christian community, being a loving wife, raising my children, connecting with my nieces, keeping up with my friends, helping my husband in his career, etc.
   I have a lot of projects in the works.  I need to start on the boys' India scrapbooks.  I need to make a living and dining area sophisticated enough for confidently hosting John's work superiors.  I need to revisit the piano, improve my ear-playing, and learn to sing easily in harmony.  I need to continue building the very strong personal relationship I've developed with God.  I need to continue to improve my health.  I have an amazing, beautiful life and I intend to focus on it.

  We have one week left in America and, barring unforeseen circumstances, we will not be back to our country for 2 years.  We're looking forward to this new adventure.  On Monday we pack up our UAB, which will be sent by air from Sheridan to Jakarta.  On Tuesday my lovely MIL, Beth, will drive us to Casper, WY where John will meet us and take us the rest of the way to Ft. Collins, CO.  Friday will be Ryan and Allie's wedding (yay!).  Saturday the boys and I fly for Hong Kong via San Francisco.  We have 45 minutes to get from our Denver to San Fran flight to our gate bound for Hong Kong!!  John will go to D.C. for a couple days for consultations, rushing to Jakarta to make it in time for Zack's 5th birthday.
  The Hong Kong flight might be tough to negotiate, because although we leave at 1:30 p.m. Pacific time, we will be adjusting for 4:30 a.m. Hong Kong time.  My goal will be to get the boys to nap as fast as possible, waking them up at 9 a.m. Hong Kong time.  The flight is about 15 hours.  I will be experimenting with dramamine this weekend to see how it affects the boys.  Benadryl, unfortunately, has about the same affect on them as caffeine.
  We'll arrive at 6:15 p.m. Hong Kong time, dash to our hotel, and head back out for some HK street food.  Zack loves meat-on-a-stick like nothing else on earth.  Gabriel will love the Victoria Harbor ferry.
  We leave Hong Kong at 4 p.m. the next day and arrive in Jakarta at 7:30 p.m. Jakarta time (one hour off from HK).  I don't know what we're doing from there because I still don't know where we're staying!  Our house might not be ready.  All part of the experience.
  It's going to be a big week!  I'm so proud of my little family that can take on all this excitement and adventure together.  We're a great team.

2 comments:

Morgan Stalick said...

I may have only met you once at Wendy's, I believe, but I think we should be good friends. You write much more eloquently than I can, but it seems like everything you write comes from my brain. And I can't get enough of the international experiences you share. Thank you for sharing!

Eden said...

So true, Arianna. I'm about to give up fb for the political season as well. I've blocked everyone who makes my blood pressure go up and realize, is this any way to live life?
Am enjoying reading about life in Jakarta. Will think if there are some online ear training courses for you -- Theta Music Trainer is comprehensive. Stay safe. EC