Tashkent

Tashkent

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Somehow My Children Are Surviving My Parenting

So we've already gone through the saga of me allowing Gabriel to careen towards a mountains river; yesterday was another chance for me to qualify for the mothering Darwin Awards.

I left the boys in the kitchen while I walked out to grab the mail. I left both doors (one leading from the kitchen to the garage and one going out of the garage) so Zach could watch me. As I walked I chuckled to myself about how terrible it would be if Zach knew how to lock the doors. Next thing I knew:

*slam*

Zach shut the door coming out of the garage. I hurried up and tried the door. Yes, it was locked. I calmly knocked on the door and told Zach to unlock it. He jiggled the knob a few times and started to cry. He couldn't get it unlocked. Starting to get a little disconcerted I knocked again and tried to explain to him how to unlock it. He launched into hysterics. I immediately shifted from somewhat disconcerted to frantic. I pounded and yelled at him to please unlock the door.
I ran around trying all the doors and windows to no avail. I finally ran to the neighbors and called 911. By the time I got back Zach was quiet, which made me even more nervous. I managed to climb high enough to see inside the kitchen window. Zach was sitting at the table looking forlorn. When he saw me he started to scream again, which set Gabriel off. Zach climbed up on a chair by the window and cried and Gabriel crawled too close to the window for me to be able to see him.

The firemen finally showed up and each took a turn as they reached me asking me if any windows were unlocked. Had they not been my potential heroes I would have been annoyed. Yes, I realize I let a 2-year-old lock me out of my house, but I'm not completely dense. Did I mention I was still in pajamas?

One man then asked me the disturbing question: "If you had to lose a door, which would it be?" Fortunately, the very large lieutenant managed to force a window open by pulling it off its runners. He climbed in, unlocked the door and brought Gabriel out:
"I just grabbed the loudest one. The other one is still crying."

The captain then proceeded to lecture me about why I should give a key to a trusted neighbor. I guess they failed to hear me when I told them that this is not, in fact, my house. Oh well, I couldn't be too uppity, they did just rescue me.

Zach was easily calmed by the sight of the fire engine and the firefighters were completely charmed by him. In the end, once my heart rate dropped below 200, it wasn't such a bad experience. And it's a great story.

I blame the boys for my sharply dropped IQ.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

awww hahaha that is a GREAT story :)

why wasn't this your house? are you renting it?

ClassicallyMegan said...

J+M+J

Oh, man. You certainly have some crazy adventures! I liked the fireman's comment: "I just grabbed the loudest one." :)

Glad to hear everything turned out alright in the end - talk about nerve-wracking though.

Red said...

Hahaha, "the loudest one" poor Zach & Gabe. Zach was just sitting at the table looking forlorn... you're never gonna lock Mama out again, are you? (Hahahaha...)

Ari, sorry for laughing, that had to be really scary for you...I'm glad everything turned out okay.

Heehee, it's a parenting technique. ;D

I'm not surprised that Zach was able to charm the nice firefighters ("I grabbed the loudest one." hahaha... poor baby!... heehee...)

You know that breaking into your Grandpa's house was probably the highlight of their day? :D