Tashkent

Tashkent

Saturday, July 3, 2010

First Pool Scare

So we are settled at our hotel after pack out and it's wonderful. It's a good bit bigger than our apartment and there is a pool on the roof. The boys are sleeping like little angels; the poor guys were so exhausted.

We checked out the pool after dinner. The boys were very tentative for the first few minutes; the both fussed when Johnny held them in the pool and didn't want to stay in the water. So I just followed them around the deck while Johnny swam. There were three other kids between the ages of 9 and 12 or so. These kids were jumping in the pool and popping back out of the water. Naturally, Zach thought that was pretty cool. What he did not realize is that a human being does not automatically pop back out of the water once one jumps in. So, when he suddenly leaped into the pool without warning he was understandably shocked within the next split second or so when I dove in, yanked him from the bottom of the pool, and held him until I stopped shaking. Aside from general disappointment he was unshaken. I'm a different story. I grew up in Florida so I know too many kids who have drowned, nearly drowned, or had various poolside accidents. I WILL NOT go up to that pool with those boys by myself. Ever. Not happening.

God definitely knew what he was doing when He gave moms lightning reflexes. This was my second truly terrifying emergency and for both of them there was no thinking, just doing. I hope and pray that my reflexes last through these boys' childhood. My goal is 21; after that they're in charge of their own destinies. I'll be too tired.

Praise God for His protection.

1 comment:

Red said...

Thank God he wasn't hurt! What is it about Zach that he lives to give you gray hair? *hugs* You are a DAMN good Mommy. *mwahmwahmwah*