Tashkent

Tashkent

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Oh, Christmas Tree

Johnny and his dad braved the elements yesterday to go into the mountains and cut a Christmas tree. They certainly found a winner. It sits in my in-laws living room cheerily brightening the room and usurping the corner where the entire stuffed body of Igor, the very dead mountain sheep once occupied. Thank God.
I got to decorate the tree, which is one of my favorite parts of Christmas. We don't have a tree at our house this year because the last thing I need is an entire tree full of sticky sap and breakable baubles dangling right at Zachary's fingertips.
It's snowing today, and quite cold. I've felt overwhelmingly busy today and I still have to work on a Christmas present, fold laundry, cook dinner and go to the gym. I only have time to write now because I'm doing it one-handed while Gabriel nurses and Zach naps.
I've been able to snatch some time here and there to read a horrifying yet fascinating book. It's called "Infidel" and is written by Aayan Hirsi Ali. It describes her life growing up as a Muslim woman in Somalia, Saudi Arabia, and Kenya. It is not for the faint of heart. The most horrifying part is the detailed description of female circumcision and sewing. I nearly vomited. But this book will certainly make you appreciate being a Christian in America.
I have a surprise cooked up for Johnny next Friday. Can't wait!

3 comments:

heather said...

I saw that book in Barnes and Noble the other day and it look very interesting...I'll have to check it out.

And I hope your surprise doesn't make another surprise...hehehe.

LOVE!

Anonymous said...

my mom read that book last summer and I currently have it on my bookshelf, er, collecting dust ;) I hope to get to it one of these days...

Arianna said...

Oh Heather, you know me too well