Tashkent

Tashkent

Saturday, June 5, 2010

And the Allergy List Lengthens

I have added alcohol to my extremely lengthy allergy list:

Peppermint
Gluten (sort of - Celiac Disease)
Wheat
Rye
Barley
Eggs
Grapes
Melon
Citrus (oranges, lemons, pineapples)
Cassia
Codeine
Alcohol

See?

I had a fabulous date night with Johnny last night and I decided to go crazy and have a Strawberry Daquiri. Rum is gluten free and I have never had adverse reactions to strawberries. Last time I consumed a few sips of alcohol it was a vodka cranberry, also Ari-allergy free. At that time I experienced chest pain, flushing, and hyperventilating so severe that I had to lie down in a dark room and will myself to make the huge effort to breath. I was on the verge of calling an ambulance.
I chalked it up to a panic attack due to my unwillingness to let go and let the alcohol loosen me up. I am, as Johnny so delicately puts it, "somewhat high strung."
So, last night, I gave myself a little pep talk as our rather surly waiter placed me drink in front of me. I took several calming breaths and took a drink. After a few minutes I was fine so I took another. Within another 10 minutes or so the chest pain was back. I had to excuse myself and go to the bathroom to do the same breathing exercising before the chest tightness loosened enough for me to breath without terrifying difficulty. I was nauseated, flushed, and on the verge of fainting for nearly twenty minutes.
Nachos, fresh air, and a long walk around Downtown D.C. cured the effects, but darned if I'll make the same mistake three times. Johnny finished my last drink for me.
It's definitely a blessing that I was pregnant for my 21st birthday.

No comments: