Tashkent

Tashkent

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Trying to Keep Up

As another day comes to a close I sit, exhausted, on the couch and try to remember where I left my brain. Oh, right, in my room at Ivinson Hospital on August 31, 2007 (Zach's birth; try to keep up ;).
Zachary, the adorable, trouble-making, wonderful child whom I love very much, learns amazing new things every day. The child is so bright. This really is a blessing and I am very thankful to have a smart, energetic, healthy child. However, his enthusiasm and zeal for life leave me, his mother, on the brink of clinical insanity every day.
He has absolutely floored me the last couple days with how much he has learned and how much he understands and remembers. Yesterday he pulled open a door and today he opened a candy cane wrapper with absolutely no help from me (I had let him play with the cane thinking there was no way he could get it open) and when Johnny called from the road I said, "It's Dada!" The poor little guy ran to the front door thinking that I meant Daddy had arrived home. He knows the evening ritual so well.
But what really floored me today was when we were sitting in the front room of the house. It has large windows, so we sit there and play on sunny days to take advantage of the extra heat. We were all playing on the floor and Gabriel had just finished nursing. Gabey let out an impressive amount of spit-up and Zach reacted in a flash. Before I even had time to pick Gabriel up Zach was off like a shot. He returned seconds later with a spit-up rag from the bedroom all the way on the other side of the house. I couldn't believe it. The kid is so smart and so sweet. I adore him, but I sure am relieved for that 7:30 bedtime. :)

It wasn't just Zach that wore me out today. Saturday is supposed to be a teamwork day. I dont have to deal with the two little angels by myself. Johnny is here to help and we usually visit the in-laws. But Johnny is in Montana today and my mother-in-law is in Minnesota. I also picked today to do my grocery shopping. Wal Mart is actually a pretty easy job; I simply park by a cart return and strap Zach in the front and rest Gabriel's seat in the back. No problem. However I go to a small grocer who carries a good supply of gluten free items. They have no shopping carts; it's a very small store. So, I carry Gabriel, all the groceries, my purse and a diaper bag all while trying to make sure Zach stays somewhere near me and doesn't throw items on the floor. It's really very exciting. I don't know why I bother exercising on these special days.

I also, because I am crazy, took them both to the library this afternoon.

Johnny texted me and said the land is the most amazing thing he's ever seen. I'm so excited to hear about it!! He should be home between 11 and midnight and I will try galantly to stay up.

Watching the AFC Championship tomorrow with all the boys (Johnny, Zach, Gabey, and Johnny's dad). I'm sad to think that football will be over in two weeks, but I do love the Super Bowl.

1 comment:

Red said...

You, my dear sweet girl, are amazing and I love you.