Tashkent

Tashkent

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Bookishness

So, I got this off a Stewie note on Facebook. In an effort to hide my facebook note obsession from the world at large I'm posting it on my blog instead. I'd love for my readers to do it as well. It's a really interesting one.

You have received this note because someone thinks you are a literary geek. Copy the questions into your own note, answer the questions, and tag any friends who would appreciate the quiz, including the person who sent you this. Don't bother trying to italicize your book titles. We know you want to.

1) What author do you own the most books by?
Charles Dickens, because he was my childhood favorite, Bryan Davis, because he's my dad. :)

2) What book do you own the most copies of?
Hamlet. Between college classes and my Complete Works of William Shakespeare I have 4 copies.

3) Did it bother you that both those questions ended with prepositions?
Sigh...yes, because I am judgemental.

4) What fictional character are you secretly in love with?
Marius from Les Miserables. So amazing.

5) What book have you read the most times in your life (excluding picture books read to children; i.e., Goodnight Moon does not count)?
Les Miserables by Victor Hugo. This book is my all-time favorite. I have read it at least 7 times and don't even get me started on the best musical in the history of the world.

6) What was your favorite book when you were ten years old?
Les Miserables. Yes, I read it when I was ten. I am a pretentious homeschooler.

7) What is the worst book you've read in the past year?
The worst book I started in the past year was Pillars of the Earth by Ken someone or other. I couldn't finish it; it was awful.

8) What is the best book you've read in the past year?
The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein; this book is written from the point of view of a golden retriever and I cried like a baby for half the book.

9) If you could force everyone you tagged to read one book, what would it be?
Dracula. That is one of my favorite books of all time and every seems to think it's some bloody horror book. It's unbelievably fantastic.

10) Who deserves to win the next Nobel Prize for Literature?
Garth Stein

11) What book would you most like to see made into a movie?
Raising Dragons. It's my dad's book and it would make a fantastic movie.

12) What book would you least like to see made into a movie?
Anything by Obama

13) Describe your weirdest dream involving a writer, book, or literary character.
I dreamed I was stuck in Moscow during Napoleon's campaign probably three nights in a row while I was writing my term paper on War and Peace. It was cold; I did not like it.

14) What is the most lowbrow book you've read as an adult?
The Bride, July Garwood. Yep, steamy romance novel. Guilty!

15) What is the most difficult book you've ever read?
Les Trois Mousqetaires. Yes, The Three Musketeers in French. It was so difficult, but my French skills skyrocketted. Go figure.

16) What is the most obscure Shakespeare play you've seen?
Coriolanus

17) Do you prefer the French or the Russians?
French; they have Dumas and Hugo; what more do you need?

18) Roth or Updike?
Roth.

19) David Sedaris or Dave Eggers?
Sedaris.

20) Shakespeare, Milton, or Chaucer?
Oh, Shakespeare, no contest

21) Austen or Eliot?
I really don't like either. But if forced to choose I would say Austen

22) What is the biggest or most embarrassing gap in your reading?
Probably the fact that I've read so little since leaving college. I plead the Baby Clause.

23) What is your favorite novel?
Les Miserables by Victor Hugo. It is a true work of genius. My goal is to read it in French.

24) Play?
King Lear

25) Poem?
Psalm 23

26) Essay?
Human Action - Ludwig Von Mises


27) Short story?
Babette's Feast - Isak Denisen

28) Work of nonfiction?
When God Writes Your Love Story - Eric and Leslie Ludy

29) Who is your favorite writer?
Mark Twain

30) Who is the most overrated writer alive today?
The moron who wrote those vampire books

31) What is your desert island book?
Robinson Crusoe

32) And... what are you reading right now?
Lord of the Flies

1 comment:

SC said...

Babette's Feast is fantastic. There's a great book by Philip Yancey (my fave theologian/journalist) called "What's So Amazing About Grace?" that I think you might like. The entire first chapter is about Babette's Feast and what it means to Christians.