Tashkent

Tashkent

Friday, October 12, 2012

Humbled

   I've always hated it when people gave speeches after accepting some award or lofty position and babbled the cliche "I'm so humbled."  Most of the time you can tell they're not humbled at all.  Aside from the insincerity from most speakers who parrot out that line, I just didn't get it.  Why would someone feel humbled by a great honor or responsibility?  Well, now that I'm a mom I get it.

It all became clear the first time I quieted my baby simply by touching his face.  It becomes clearer every day as I raise my young children.  In my two little boys I have the greatest responsibilities a human being could possibly have.  I am in charge of the physical, spiritual and emotional health and well-being of two other humans.  My own two little humans to make or break.  The responsibility is incredible.  But it's the power that's even more incredible and, yes, humbling.  My kids signal to me every day just how much power I have.  They show me every time their stressed, tense bodies relax in my arms.  They tell me every time the slightest touch of my hands stops their tears.  They run to me when a stranger scares them.  They call for me when they have nightmares.  They don't just believe, they *know* that Mommy can beat up any bad guy, chase away monsters, heal any ouchie, calm any fear, and bring light to any dark place.  No matter what evil comes their way Mommy can destroy it just by being close.  Why is this incredible super power so humbling?

   Because they are wrong.  Despite their incredible faith, I *know* that even though I would fight until my body gave out, strain to protect them with my last breath, there is way too much in this world that can hurt my children, way too many things that could break their hearts and bruise their bodies.  I would die before I let anything truly hurt my children, but I'm only a human, too.  Nothing makes you realize your limitations like having another person put complete faith in you.

   Thank God I'm not alone.  I have another "superhero" to back me up.  Super Daddy is utterly invincible in the eyes of his children.  But even more important I have a God who really is perfect.  He really can chase all the evil away.  I am so thankful that when I am feeling the most humbled, the most vulnerable as a mother, I can ask God to fill in the gaps, to give my kids the strength I don't have.

It's good to be humbled.  I'm not perfect and I'm glad I don't have to be.  Still, I'm really enjoying having two little guys rest their head on my shoulder and know everything is all right.  And it is.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

have nothing to add, thanks

Morgan said...

What a great post! As usual, you're spot on and inspiring. Thank you