Tashkent

Tashkent

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Princes Leia

   Many of you may recall that in December 2010 we impulsively adopted a Desi street dog and name him Barkley.  It was a disaster.  He was aggressive, really hard to train, and in all ways unmanageable.  After he bit Zack on the knee, a scar Zack still bears, I gave our impulse buy the boot.  We acknowledged what a terrible mistake it was and moved on with our lives.

   But since that day little Gabriel, our resident animal lover and one track, steel trap minded 4 year old, has lived on the promise that we will one day try again and get a nice puppy.  Ever since Zack started school Gabriel hasn't quite been himself.  Part of that is most definitely due to his fight with Scarlet Fever a couple weeks ago, but I think a big part has also been that he's bored and lonely without his brother.  We knew some of this boredom would be remedied once our shipment arrives with all his toys, book, crayons, paints, and schoolbooks but we weren't sure how much we could ease his loneliness.  There are no other kids close to his age on the compound during the day and it's tough to set playdates due to traffic.  We had already decided to go for a puppy this Christmas, but Gabriel's state helped us decide to move the puppy acquisition forward a bit.  This decision led to Princess Leia, our new 2 month old Yorkshire Terrier puppy.


I had spent a lot of time researching puppies this time, so as to avoid the impulse trap.  I prepared everything ahead of time, from a bed and kennel to shampoo and chew toys.  We checked Jakarta adoption centers, local pet stores, called vets, and located breeders.  We knew for sure we wanted a Yorkie because of their size and even-keeled temperament.  Breeders were the definite winner as far as price, treatment of the dogs, and quality.  It was a long drive to the breeder's house, so I opted to go on a Saturday morning to beat the legendary Jakarta traffic.

 I went by myself and John took the boys to the American Club for the morning.  I had to pick between to sister Yorkies and it was heartbreaking to separate them.  When I put my hand out to be sniffed for inspection one of the girls crawled into my hand to be held.  It was a pretty easy decision.  She was also the runt and I am a total sucker for tiny, fluffy creatures.  I had a nice, collapsable portable kennel for taking her home and I was glad you couldn't see her through it, because I wasn't sure any of the Muslim taxi drivers would take me home if they saw her.  Dogs are unclean.  We got a taxi and she snuggled against my arm through the mesh of her crate and fell asleep.

The boys were still gone when I got home, so I was able to get her quietly settled.  She instantly thought I was her mom and cried if I left the room.  She follows me everywhere.  When the boys got home we led them quietly upstairs and they got to meet their puppy.  Gabriel has been awash in a sea of bliss ever since.  I was exhausted after the long taxi rides; the breeder's house also got mosquito bombed while I was there and I had a bad reaction to the pesticide, so after we all got settled both Leia and I curled up on the bed and took a nap.  Thus far she will only sleep if she's curled up next to me.  We'll see how tonight goes in her kennel.

Both boys are surprisingly good with her.  They love to run around the kitchen table while she chases them and they love to hold her in their laps.

She loves to lick faces.


Have you ever seen a more content little face?


I've had serious baby fever the last couple months, but since we're really happy with having our two little men, this little girl is a great compromise.

Welcome to the family, Princess Leia!  You're a welcome addition to the Thurow litter.

No comments: