Tashkent

Tashkent

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Gluten Free Tortillas

I love Tex-Mex.  The only cuisine that rivals Tex-Mex in my book is Thai.  Both foods are extremely gluten free friendly.  Unfortunately, Tex Mex is often accompanied with those delectable flour tortillas. That's a decided no-go for the dedicated GF-er.  Yes, you can generally replace the flour tortillas with corn, but I've generally found those to be a little "blah."  I really only truly love corn tortillas if they're crisped (i.e. fried into corn chips, broiled for tostadas, fried up as quesadillas).  So I've been trying to develop a good gluten free tortilla.  I started with using just masa harina, salt and water.  They were useable but not compelling.  So I finally decided to try out Sorghum flour.  Voila!  I got just what I wanted:


These tortillas are soft, savory, and work great as quesadillas, tacos, or fajitas.  And guess what!!  I wrote it down!!  That's right, I wrote down a recipe with accurate measurements and everything.  So here it is, my first ever published, carefully recorded recipe.  Enjoy!


1 3/4 cups masa harina
3/4 cups sorghum flour
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. baking powder
4 tbsp. bacon grease
1 3/4 cups *HOT* water

Mix dry ingredients.  Cut in bacon grease until it looks like pie crust.  Add hot water and mix.  The dough should look like fresh play dough.  Make sure the dough has cooled a bit before you knead it.  Knead for 5 or so minutes.  Separate into small balls, about 1 1/2" diameter.  Heat a pan, using a little bit of oil.  I prefer coconut oil.  Put your dough ball on your tortilla press between two pieces of wax paper or a grocery bag cut to fit (I prefer the grocery bag, for some reason it peels off easier).  Press and fry.  You should fry each side one minute then return it to the first side.  It should bubble and/or expand.  Set it on a plate to cool.  Repeat until you have a delicious pile of tortilla goodness.  Happy Tex-Mex eating!













1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Sounds like parchment paper would work too, it comes in rolls like saran wrap etc. so it is easy to keep on hand.