Tashkent

Tashkent

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Food!

   We're a little nervous about going out to restaurants here.  There's an unhealthy obsession with MSG in this country.  Not worse than in America, you protest?  Oh yes, indeed, much worse.  They actually have seasoning packets of MSG to put into your food.  Blech.  So, with that deterrent we haven't ventured out to try much yet.  However, I've been smelling the street vendor's nasi goreng (fried rice) at every turn and I couldn't take anymore!  I made it myself.


   This one is John's plate, since I can't eat egg (tidak telur).  I left out the shrimp in this one and used chicken.  Normally it's made with egg and shrimp and sate is eaten on the side with some krupuk, but I didn't have any krupuk on hand and didn't have the energy to prep shrimp yet.  Give me a couple weeks.  Despite these shortcomings it was delicious!  It's right up there with panang curry and pad thai for me, and if you know me at all you know that's saying something.  We'll be adding nasi goreng to our regular menu list.

   This week I also attended a sushi making party with new friends from the embassy.  It was a ladies only party, which was fun.  Rolling sushi is fun and super easy and since you can put pretty much anything in it I might be able to coax the kids into trying something.  I'm thinking Friday night sushi nights if I can make it stick.  One of the local grocery stores carries Bragg's liquid aminos, which is a great GF soy sauce substitute.  I also have some coconut aminos coming in my UAB shipment (someday, somehow, maybe?).  

   There's more food to be discovered!  Nothing beats southeast Asian food in my book. Yum, yum yum.

1 comment:

Phyllis said...

My friend who grew up in Indonesia liked to sprinkle MSG into her hand and lick it up.