Tashkent

Tashkent

Thursday, September 27, 2012

One Month

We have been in Jakarta for one month already.  It seems hard to believe it's gone by so quickly.  Looking back I definitely cannot easily account for 31 days.  It is easy to see how they disappear in the fog of moving.  There's the week or so of serious jet lag, the kind of jet lag that leaves you blinking in the face of someone who introduced themselves and saying something like, "huh, what happened?"

Then there's the week or so of figuring out how to live.  Where do I get groceries?  How do we get to school and work?  Language barriers.  Tidak, Pak, saya tidak mungerti Bahasa Indonesia!

Then there's the general excitement as you get a grip on things and feel competent and really get into the excitement of your new host country.  So much to see!  Explore!  Take in!

Then, as addressed in my previous post, you come off the high and realize, once again, that life overseas is tough and you have to start over with the work of really getting adjusted for real.

And this all can happen in the span of one little month!

So here we are, one month in.  We're getting there.  After the sad end of the elation phase it's slow going, but we're chugging along.  The curtains no longer make me cry.  We're going back to the doctor for Zack and Gabey.  Two other kids on our compound have had infections, so I assume that's what we're dealing with.  Zack only improves when he's hyped up on cough suppressant, so those allergy meds aren't making a dent.
I hear rumors of a gluten free bakery near the embassy.  Even if they have nothing egg free that solves all my problems for the boys' friend's birthday party tomorrow.
John and I are going to a friend's game night tomorrow, which brings me to a positive thing I hadn't mentioned.  We hired a lovely young lady named Fitri to help us out!  She works Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday and she's great so far.

One month down, 47 to go and we're adjusting.  I'm working my way back to that disgusting Pollyanna self that annoys so many people.  Sampai Jumpa!