Tashkent

Tashkent

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Successes

Each little success as we set up life feels like a massive victory.  We accomplished so much today!

1) Meal planning.  I feel like I have a good system set up for school lunches and I'm in the process of coming up with creative dinner ideas.  Food life would be a breeze if we ate like "normal people" but between the gluten free and paleo needs/wants of our family it's a bit more complicated.  I'm cracking down on the boys with the motto: eat what's put in front of you!  Zack is taking to it quickly and easily. Gabriel, being so much like his mother, might starve to death.  We'll see how the battle pans out.

2) Car.  We looked at and made an offer on a Nissan Sunny.  Our offer to the local broker has been accepted, but now we have to wade through Embassy paper work.  I'm praying for transportation of our own by next week sometime.  For now it's taxis, which brings me to victory #3.

3) Language.  I gave directions home today completely in Bahasa.  I think I'll have a much easier time with Indonesian than with Hindi.  It's easier to learn a language when you can read it!  I'm already learning so much vocab just from grocery shopping.  Mangga, susu, telur, roti, bersu, etc...

4) School.  We met Zack's teacher today and Zack got to wander around his classroom and find his name on his cubby and backpack hook.  He is very excited.  I am relieved because when the reality of school hit him he got very nervous.  After hearing about his daily routine, seeing his teacher, and familiarizing with his room he was beside himself with excitement.  He will be helping me pack his lunch and snack today.

5) Groceries.  I have a nice system set up now.  Thursday will be my commissary grocery day and Friday will be my local grocery day.  Tuesdays and Thursdays Gabey and I will go to the American club after dropping Zack off.  We can hang out, swim, play, and hit up the commissary.  On Fridays we can make the short walk from Zack's school to the Lotte Mart, then taxi it home (for now; we'll be driving once that car is finalized!).

So, life is shaping up.  I'm trying to cut sugar out again and I'm fighting off "sugar flu."  The boys are *always* hungry so I think they're going through the same thing.

Stay tuned for pictures of Zack's first school day tomorrow!

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Glad you are able to get organized and finding a comfortable routine. Thanks for posting and keeping us up to date. Love to all!!