Tashkent

Tashkent

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Story Time!

The story of my back, for those who are interested.

This was a complete freak accident and even though I was in so much pain I almost passed out, I was laughing at how comical it was.

So, Zach has a tent set given to him by his Grandma Thurow. This tent set consists of a teepee, a rounded tent, and two tubes that connect these tents. The tubes are just large enough in diameter for me to fit through and are about 2-3" longer than I am. Zach, Johnny, and I had been running around playing tag and such. Johnny settled down at the dining room table to update his resume and perform other such mature activities.

***Before I go any further, I should mention that our heater system is run by water pipes running through the base boards, so these baseboards stick out from the base of the wall a couple inches and metal casings cover the vented areas. This is an important detail.***

So, with the loss of our playmate, Zach and I stopped playing tag and started playing hide and seek in the tent set. Zach ended up in one of the tubes, so I extracted it and started pulling him around the house. I eventually ifted it enough so that he tumbled out in a laughing heap. Next, I got the brilliant idea of pulling this tube over my head so that I was completely covered in it from head to toe. I used this method to play peek-a-boo with Zach. Sheathed in this tube I had no used of my arms and limited use of my legs. I kept pulling the top of the tube down and making Zach laugh.

Eventually, we noticed that Daddy looked way too serious sitting at the table being an adult, so I started inching my way over to annoy him. Of course, this tube reached above my head, so I could not see where I was going. I made my way over to Johnny by bumping into things and eventually getting right in front of his chair. I figured he was just ignoring me in and effort to get work done. I forgot that he takes a feindish delight in startling me. All of a sudden he jumped up and yelled. Unfortunately I jump when I'm startled, so I hopped back a little bit. Unfortunately, again, I had no use of my arms and limited use of my legs, so, completely without balance, I fell backward. My right Sitz Bone took full impact smack dab on the metal corner of the heater casing.

It hurt so badly I couldn't even tell Johnny what was wrong for a full minute. When I finally wriggled awkwardly out of the tube I managed to stand up and tell him what I'd hurt. The pain was so excruciating that I had to hold on to the kitchen counter to avoid fainting; I managed to inch my way to the couch while Johnny comforted Zach (he was very upset that Mama was hurt).
Once I got to the couch I started laughing uncontrollably. The situation was just so funny.

So, now I'm sporting a big, swollen, gashed bruise on my the lower right part of my back. It's not even an honorable story, but I hope it's an amusing one. I sure found it funny. Johnny doesn't seem to see it nearly so humorous. Ah, well; can't win 'em all.

3 comments:

Red said...

Poor Ari... I'm sorry to hear you hurt yourself! Accidents happen, just don't put any strain on your back while its healing. *mwah* Hope your back feels better!

Anonymous said...

awww and ouch!

heather said...

If I had been there I SO would have laughed with you...and felt bad you were hurt... :) hehehe. I LOVE YOU!